I want nothing more to continually share information, get the conversations started, with the world about the world. Through all my travels the one thing that remains constant is the idea that the more I learn, the more I know how much I don’t know.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Concept of Giving


Heading into the holiday season (tomorrow being Thanksgiving) I have decided that I can do more to help others; we can all do more. As we gear up for Black Friday and start thinking about our Christmas/Hanukah wish lists, why not think about someone else, or how our gifts can help someone. Isn’t that the idea of the holidays; aren’t they supposed to be about GIVING?

This year give thanks for being as lucky as we all are to have grown up in beautiful homes with beautiful families around us, supporting our every move. Then think before you buy and figure out how you can give a gift that helps that child that wasn’t as lucky or blessed as we all got to be.

For a couple of days know I have known that I was going to write this blog, but just this morning I learned about a new organization doing what I attempt to do with my small following, but on a much larger scale. www.dtj.com or Discover the Journey attempts to educate people about real issues, real problems, and real situations that exist around the world; problems that need real solutions. I came across an initiative they are running called “i am child” (shared it on my new twitter account and on my facebook page), which lists 7 categories of children in the world and the situations that are their lives. It discusses the displaced children, the enslaved children, the orphaned children, the child soldiers, the girl children in the developing world, the street children, and the impoverished children.

See the video here. http://vimeo.com/7226498

There are so many great causes out there and sometimes when I am preoccupying myself with one (fistulas) I can forget about many more (I am only human). We need to forget the outta sight, outta mind idea and bring this to the forefront of our consciousness.

Yesterday I was teaching a class on entrepreneurship at a local middle school and we were working on an activity where the students were given a situation and they had try to come up with a “big idea” to deal with that issue, ranging from homelessness to the lack of access to food and resources. One of the girls, in all innocence and complete lack of knowledge, said to me, “well isn’t it their own fault for being too far away from cities and the resources they need?” To which I replied, “No, some people are simply born into a world that looks much different from the one we live in. Most of the time these people cannot fathom what a city looks like, what having water coming through a tap in their house would be like.”

Just because someone is born in Haiti, or Cambodia, or Senegal does not make him or her any less human; it does not make them any less a person than someone born into privilege in a developed country. I am not better than them because I was born into a comfortable house and family that was able to send me to good school and provide me with water, food, and clothing. These people are not uneducated because they choose to be, they never had access to school and books or were forbidden to learn, they are not living in squalor because they enjoy that type of lifestyle; they have no other choice. We need to remember this idea, each and everyday. What have I done that I get to deserve to live in comfortable house that I don’t even have to pay rent for because my mom is just that amazing. Nothing, I was born this way and it is my mission to help those that were not as lucky as I was.

As we move into the holiday season, keep that in mind. You can donate in someone’s name as a gift (Grassroot Soccer), you can purchase a gift that gives again (like TOMS, and FEED), you can help out a charity by buying a t-shirt or jewelry from them (i.e. Falling Whistles and charity:water), or you can volunteer your time at the homeless shelter, with Habitat for Humanity, or a food kitchen. Think outside the box this holiday season, literally, and give…

No comments:

Post a Comment