I want nothing more to continually share information, get the conversations started, with the world about the world. Through all my travels the one thing that remains constant is the idea that the more I learn, the more I know how much I don’t know.

Friday, December 30, 2011

The TOMS Follow Up

The Habatat Art Gallery and Coffee Company...Thanks guys for hosting!
In an effort to invoke some sense of caring and compassion and connect with like-minded individuals, I hosted a TOMS Style Your Sole event. In a short three week time period, I found a venue, rallied up some artists and musicians and attempted to spread the word about my very interesting event. While I learn more about TOMS everyday I still didn’t realize how much they really have going on across the nation and around the world. It is inspiring to see a company that is able to bring together so many different people to support their cause.

My shoes! I am so excited!
Friday night, the day before the event, I came down with a cold and spent most of Saturday in bed so that I could attend the festivities that evening. Since I had left a few last minute errands until Saturday, I had to call in my troops, my brother, Pope, and my boyfriend, Jeremy. They stepped up and saved my event for me and for that I am eternally grateful.

Gabriella DiPace - Look out for her album...she's recording in January!

I believe due to the event we sold approximately 20-25 pairs of shoes, which for me was great. I really had no expectations, it was my first event, so I was happy to see anyone show up. I really thought it might just be the owners of the Habatat Coffee Company and me.  I think the musicians, Haley Locke and Gabriella DiPace, brought in a good amount of people (everyone loves some good music) and our small article in the Notables section of the Palm Beach Post helped some too. Knowing what I know now, I am sure that having the owner of Primo Comfort Shoes (retailer of TOMS) present at the event would have helped us sell more shoes, but unfortunately we were stood up. He did however give us $15 off to anyone who stopped by his shop down the street that night. So in an effort to make the best out of a bad situation as we could, we made the announcement and my brother ran back and forth the three blocks purchasing shoes for attendees. Thanks Pope! 

Eduardo Mendieta hard at work on some TOMS, check out the awesome green and orange ones!
The artists did an amazing job and I will share with you some pictures of the event and of their creations below. Eduardo Mendieta is a local artist who donated his time to work on the shoes, which was very much appreciated. He recommended that next time we collect donations for a cause at the same time; I haven’t figured out exactly how to make it work because TOMS is a cause, while also being a company and I don’t want to confuse two causes. Maybe having complimentary causes is the answer. Andrea, the other artist, responded to a post on Craigslist seeking artists and was an amazing help, even taking home shoes that were not completed at the event and getting them back to me at a later time. She has told me that she would love to be involved again if we do another event. For this I am so thankful I found her!

Andrea getting into her artwork! 
All and all I connected with some interesting people, including a guy involved in his TOMS club up at FSU (which apparently was ranked one of the best TOMS clubs in the country) who saw the article in the paper, plus I got some great feedback. So thank you to all who came and supported us! Despite being sick I had a great night!

She's got her TOMS on, yes, they make them that small!

My soon-to-be stepsister, Isa's, TOMS, complements of Andrea!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment